AboutHi, I'm Ted Hawkins, since 2011, I've liked to get out as much as possible to various places. I'm a retired graphic designer and web developer who took up travel writing to prevent me from going stir crazy.
What I like to do
- Walk trails when possible.
- Go to smaller towns and cities.
- Spend time in a place and get to know people.
- Experience the unusual, but not for the sake of things like eating live squid etc.
- Visit old places that reek of history, but not necessarily touristy.
- Avoid tourist traps.
Things I won't do
- Get drunk. I rarely finish off one bottle of beer (usually get bored about halfway through).
- Visit huge cities unless I have to go through them to somewhere smaller.
- Travel on the seriously cheap and nasty airlines.
- Get involved with social media.
- I have no desire to go to Asia.
Basically I'm artistic and as a result can go off in strangely mutated directions, at the mention of certain words. I'll surface about three weeks later wondering, "how on earth did I get here?" Which can prove interesting on occasion.
The Adventure bit
The girl said she was going bungee jumping for an adventure. I replied that bungee jumping is not an adventure. That begins when the bungee cord breaks!
Just what is adventure? Here are some definitions:
- A situation in which harm, death, damage, or destruction is possible.
- An undertaking usually involving danger and unknown risks.
- Potentially hazardous action.
- Dangerous undertaking.
- A serious or dangerous situation that you must deal with immediately in order to prevent something bad from happening.
There is nothing good or fun about an adventure. Yes I do have some. No, I don't look for them.
How it works
Any place I visit must have, excellent public transportation there and back or I will not give it a second thought.
If somewhere is good, I'll say so. If not, I'll trash it, so you won't waste your time on the place. It's no good saying a town is "wonderful" when it is not, just to get traffic to your blog.